The Excellence in Teaching and Mentoring Award recognizes graduate faculty who have made significant contributions to graduate education at Rutgers University.
The winner of the Excellence in Teaching and Mentoring Award will receive a commemorative plaque at our annual Awards Ceremony.
All SGS graduate students, faculty, and staff may submit nominations for SGS Achievement & Merit Awards. Self-nominations are encouraged.
The Awards Portal will close on March 1, 2023, at 11:59 PM. Please ensure that all materials--online nomination form plus required letters of recommendation--have been submitted before the deadline.
Once you enter the portal and begin the nomination process, you may upload recommender information and send recommendation letter requests to letter writers. Please send these requests as possible since recommenders must upload all materials by the March 1st submission deadline.
To submit a nomination, please visit our new Awards Portal, log in with your NetID and password, then follow the instructions.
Award CriteriaDemonstrated excellence in graduate teaching and mentoring, including (but not limited to)
- Richness and conceptual complexity of the material
- Integration of research and teaching
- Quality and extent of preparation
- Excellence in all aspects of the teacher-student relationship
- Extension of effects beyond the classroom (e.g. extra teaching efforts, advising, etc.)
- Quality and quantity of significant student products (e.g. research papers, conference presentations, and publications) stemming from coursework and mentored research
- Curricular innovation and the development of effective teaching strategies and/or materials
- All official members of the SGS graduate faculty may be nominated for the Excellence in Teaching and Mentoring Award.