Counseling and Student Wellness

Supporting your transition to, and your journey through, graduate school.

"Let’s Talk" Tele-Talk on Thursdays from 11am-1pm

“Let’s Tele-Talk”, informal consultation, is on Thursdays from 11am-1pm as indicated on If you would like to schedule an appointment for Let’s Talk during the designated drop-in hours or outside those hours with Dana Weinstock, please call 848-932-7884, option 2.  Conversations with experienced CAPS counselors are private and confidential. If this date and time frame don’t work for you, you may go to any of the other ”Let’s Talk” sessions which you can see here. Here are FAQs about “Let’s Talk”

Your well-being is our priority.

Graduate students experience the normal stresses and strains of everyday life - losses, disappointments, conflicts. But because of their graduate status, they can experience additional stresses. We’ve developed these guidelines and services to help prepare graduate students for some of the predictable and common stresses that they face. More information, including how to contact a counselor, is available by following the relevant link below. In the case of an emergency, please dial 911


Services and Programs

With a commitment to the mental health of our graduate students, we offer a wide range of services and resources on and off campus.


Counseling services help students understand and change behaviors or situations that are problematic in their lives. Most students come to counseling when their usual ways of coping aren’t working well. We offer a variety of services, including:

  • Individual therapy
  • Group therapy
  • Crisis intervention
  • Workshops and educational programs
  • Referral to specialists in the community
  • Consultation and collaboration with campus partners.

Connect with a counselor

Counseling, Alcohol and Other Drug Assistance Program & Psychiatric Services (CAPS)

Counseling, ADAP and Psychiatric Services (CAPS) is part of Rutgers Student Health. CAPS is staffed by psychologists, drug and alcohol counselors, psychiatrists, social workers, and select graduate students in training. Services are free for students.

New Brunswick/Piscataway:

All Ph.D. students

Masters of Biomedical Science and Clinical and Translational Science students

Other Master’s students


For Biomedical and Health Science Campus Students

All Ph.D. and Masters students at Newark campus, and Masters and MBS students at Biomedical Health Science New Brunswick | Piscataway campus use the Student Wellness Program which is an outpatient treatment facility for medical, dental, and graduate students in need of psychiatric help. The service is not available to student's dependents. Dependents may, however, be seen in consultation. Treatment here refers primarily to relatively short-term restorative intervention in problems that may have arisen during a student's stay in school, and not to long-term, in-depth psychotherapy. When it is necessary to have further therapy on a long-term basis, the student will be referred to private care.

Visit here for further information

Come Talk With Us

Should you have questions or concerns about yourself or a friend who may need help, you are also welcome to contact Barbara Bender, 848-932-7747, Janet Alder, 732-235-5392, or Nadine Stevens, 973-972-4511 (Newark), at the Office of the Dean of the School