The Distinguished Scholarly Achievement Award is the School of Graduate Studies’ most prestigious honor. Awarded to a student who demonstrates the highest possible level of academic excellence and achievement, this award celebrates extraordinary scholarship and research.
All SGS graduate students, faculty, and staff may submit nominations for SGS Achievement & Merit Awards. Self-nominations are encouraged.
The Awards Portal will close on March 1, 2023, at 11:59 PM. Please ensure that all materials--online nomination form plus required letters of recommendation--have been submitted before the deadline.
Once you enter the portal and begin the nomination process, you may upload recommender information and send recommendation letter requests to letter writers. Please send these requests as possible since recommenders must upload all materials by the March 1st submission deadline.
To submit a nomination, please visit our new Awards Portal, log in with your NetID and password, then follow the instructions.
- Extraordinary achievements in academic coursework, research, and scholarship
- Significance of research to a given field of study
- Track record of academic and professional excellence
- Nominees must have a successful dissertation defense and all degree paperwork* submitted by April 1, 2023 for a May 2023 degree date or received a degree in August 2022, October 2022, or January 2023.
- The winner of the Distinguished Scholarly Achievement Award will receive a special commemorative plaque at our annual Awards Ceremony.
- Nominations may be submitted for more than one SGS academic/merit award. However, nominees may only receive one award total.
*Includes submission of all forms and all corrected copies of the dissertation to the appropriate SGS office.